Tigers are one of the most beautiful, yet intimidating animals in the world. Despite being India’s national animal, they have been bought dangerously close to extinction in recent years. However, due to some careful conservation projects they are now thriving, and an make for an incredible sight in many of Kerala’s national parks.
Some amazing facts about Tigers:
- The stripes on each tiger are unique, just like human fingerprints.
- Their saliva contains antiseptic elements. By licking their wounds, they disinfect them.
- They don’t normally roar at other animals to intimidate them. Roaring is actually to communicate with far-away tigers. A tiger in attacking mode is more likely to hiss.
- These beasts are territorial and prefer to live solitary lives except when mating. Each tiger has a specific territory, but the area of a male overlaps with many other females.
- Tigers are completely blind for the first week of their life.
- A tiger has a better memory than any other animals, including humans.
- They can run at a speed of approximately 60 kilometres per hour for short distances.
- Tigers appear to be aware of polite etiquette towards females and children. When several tigers assemble around a kill, they wait usually for the females and children to eat first. Lions do the opposite!
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Kerala
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary near Thekkady has a notable tiger reserve. It offers a wealth of diverse wildlife in a very natural and breathtakingly beautiful setting. We highly recommend a visit during your tour of Kerala.